Monday, August 16, 2010

Picking House Colors

When we first moved in, everything about the house was khaki, inside and out. The trouble with khaki is that it is so neutral you can let it slide for a really, really long time. I was itching to paint the house immediately when we moved it, but (a) it apparently costs money, (b) it is not smart to attempt to paint a house in the late fall/early winter in Oregon, and (c) the khaki grew on me as a non-offensive, whatever color. I guess all that "paint your house neutral colors" advice has some merit.

It actually took us a while to get around to painting. That did not stop me from hitting up the paint stores for chips every so often. I visited often enough to know that the house would eventually be green, and the window trim would be a nice chocolate brown. It was the porch color and the trim that evaded me for so long. I have to say, I am thrilled with the color selections and glad we took our time, because I am relatively sure I would have gone another, less awesome way if I jumped on painting right away. As it is, I have dealt with a not-so-stellar porch option for the past few years, but just this summer found "the" color. As we will be painting the porch ourselves, I do hope we can muster up the energy and project excitement to follow through this summer. Will post pictures once we finish the porch, though I may wait until spring when our bulb bed is in full bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment